Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Cinnamon Bread


I have been dying to try this recipe for ages now, ever since my roommates were given a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread and I had to smell it every morning when they toasted it and ate it with butter. If only I had had raisins when I made this!

This small loaf is astoundingly delicious toasted with butter. I tried it the morning after I baked this loaf and thought about having another slice all day. I think it would be even better with raisins, and could possibly use some more cinnamon too. It's very soft and has a very light texture and a great example of what rice flour can do on its own if treated properly. It is oh so yummy!

What you will need:
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 4 egg whites
  • 3/4 cup yogurt
  • 1 cup rice flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a medium size loaf pan.

-Cream the oil and sugar in a medium-size bowl. Add the egg whites and beat until very frothy. This will take a minute if using a fork. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix well.

-Pour into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, until golden brown. The bread should test cleanly with a toothpick.


Notes: With gluten free bread, it's very important to not under bake. If you have any doubts, stick in the oven for another five minutes, if it looks like it won't burn. I have taken many loaves out of the oven under-baked, and not only did they fall and look much less pretty, but they were squishy in the middle and inedible, which is a tremendous waste of eggs.

Also, if you want a taller loaf, use a smaller loaf pan and just extend the baking time.

I have also thought about replacing a couple of the egg yokes with whole eggs. Sometimes, in my opinion, gluten free baking gets too light. I tend to like my food a little hardy. Perhaps adding a second flour would also bring that depth to this loaf. Regardless, it is a great treat.

(This recipe is the Rice-based Cinnamon Bread recipe from Roben Ryberg's "You Won't Believe It's Gluten Free." Potato flour, oat flour, and corn starch based recipes also exist.)

No comments:

Post a Comment