Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fudgy Brownies

When I first tried one of the brownie recipes in my beloved gluten free cook book, I thought, "great! Just basic ingredients, easy preparation, no sweat!" Then when I pulled them out of the oven, they were thin, a little too chewy, and not terribly exciting taste-wise. I longed for the Chocolate fudge brownies that you had to eat over several sittings because they were so rich. Then, when a friend of mine gave me some sugar-free baking chocolate I though, "Hey! Maybe if I add real chocolate instead of cocoa powder to this recipe, the brownies will turn out richer!" So I took one of the recipes and replaced ounce for ounce cocoa powder with baking chocolate. The result was mixed. Once cooled, refrigerated, and reheated slightly, they were delicious. But there was an inch thick edge that had over-cooked and was much too chewy, and right out of the oven, the entire dish was fragile and fell apart in my hand.

Watching the thick batter bubble and bake in the oven reminded me very much of a time I tried to add milk to my scrambled eggs, added too much, and the result was a strange, over-fried mess, with more milk than egg to fry. I decided the problem was a dry/liquid ingredient ratio problem. Some fat was being added with the baking chocolate, and some flour like substance removed. I therefore decreased the amount of butter in the recipe and increased the amount of flour.

The result is a very tasty, rich brownie. The bottom is fudgy, slightly cakey and slightly moist. The top is crunchy and resembles the cracked top of a traditional gluten filled brownie. Delicious! I was foolish enough to leave them unattended at my friends' house and I doubt there will be any left by the time I come back! Also, this recipe preserved the simplicity and speed of the original version. You'll spend more time waiting for the brownies to bake them than mixing the ingredients!

Here was the fairly successful resulting recipe:

What you will need:
  • 7 tablespoons butter
  • 4 oz baking chocolate (unsweetened)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square (or circular) baking pan.

-Melt butter and chocolate together in the microwave or slowly over stove top. Stir regularly to encourage the chocolate to melt.

-In a medium- sized bowl, combine chocolate/butter mix and remaining ingredients and mix well. The batter will be almost dough-like.

-Press into the prepared pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle tests cleanly and the top appears dry. Let cool before devouring.

That's it!

Notes: I considered adding a little milk or other liquid to this recipe to make the mixture a little more batter like. It is a little disconcerting to press the mixture into the pan rather than pouring it. However, the resulting brownies were so tasty that I don't think the recipe really needs it. Also, keeping milk out of the recipe and using margarine instead of butter would make this recipe dairy free!

(Pictures to Come)
Update: Apparently no photos on this one, at least not until I make this recipe again, as my friends ate all the brownies before I could take pictures of them. Speaks highly of their quality though!

(This recipe was of my own invention, adjusted from the Corn-based Brownie recipe from "You Won't Believe It's Gluten Free" by Roben Ryberg. Oat flour, Potato starch, and rice flour based versions of this recipe also existed, but mine is better :-p)

No comments:

Post a Comment